About Me

My photo
I have a new job! I am now working for MicroHealth as the Chief Governance & Compliance Officer. I start in December, 2011. I am a dentist and have been in the Air Force for the past 26 years and now am retiring out of a great job...the Chief Medical Information Office at the DHIMS program office where we build and maintain the military electronic health record. I am also back in school at the GWU Masters program in Information Systems Technology...great experience. In my spare time, I love to get creative and work with polymer clay and paint.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Is your electronic health information safe?


Brian Horwitz posted an article on eWeek on September 8, 2011: 

71 Percent of Health Care Companies Suffer Data Breaches in Past Year: Report, see http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Health-Care-IT/71-Percent-of-Health-Care-Companies-Suffer-Data-Breaches-in-Past-Year-Report-332736/ 

A Saas-based company, Veriphyr analytic and access intelligence reported what most of us already knew - our electronic personal healthcare information may not be safe.  Although most of the breaches were from insiders looking at the medical records of family and friends, this is by no means reassuring.  Nearly 80% of those surveyed are concerned that current processes will not detect a breach when it occurs.

The future sharing of health data is a wonderful thing that will provide the medical and dental teams with access to the right information at the right time, no matter the source (private sector, military or VA).  But this comes with a great responsibility to protect the privacy of that patient's information.  Breaches must be detected and stopped quickly.  Patients must be notified.  The healthcare field needs to look for industry experts to provide this skill set.  



Page McNall

1 comment:

  1. Hi Page -

    You have designed your blog page very well, I like it.

    I look forward to your next blog submission.

    Regards,

    Chet

    ReplyDelete